Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Bronx is Gushing by F.L. Light

One of my favorite poems -- I just came across it for the first time in a few years.

The Bronx is gushing Heinekens. Thereby 
The nickels come apace. To boot I may 
Redeem these bottles and in opulence 
Repugn, not poorer than I ought to be. 


Though roaches creep into the cans, though mean 
Bodegas query when I come, though boys 
Contend with me in use, enough I glean 
Upon a rich subsistence to rejoice. 


 From plentious Cokes and copious Pepsis shall 
The cogent nickels in redundence come. 
From Seven-Up's auspicious empties shall 
Emoluments exuberate in sum. 


In recompense condign, my due is right, 
Upon redemption earned, however slight.

 By F.L. Light First published in Street News in the early 1990s.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?