Monday, September 24, 2012

Walter Russell Mead on Media Bias

Yesterday I was talking with a friend, trying to explain my utter disgust for today's "first line" news media, and to make my point, asked her to predict how many stories New York Times and NPR (her two favorites) would have about Mitt Romney in the coming week that were not unfavorable. She paused, then answered "zero." I think this is about right right.

The "news" these days seems to be cooked up by "Media Matters" in conjunction with the Democratic Party and officials in the Obama administration and then fed to MSM news writers. Op-ed writers then hammer on the points, which are then restated by news writers, and soon the left-liberal party line is "all the news that's fit to print."

Walter Russell Mead puts it this way: "Many people on the right look at this and other examples and conclude that the major press outlets are deliberately distorting the news in the hope of shifting public opinion to the left and supporting the President’s re-election. This is not, in my view, the main reason for press bias, but it is a real phenomenon."

His essay on bias in the mainstream media and how it is discrediting said media is worth reading.

(Exactly what you suggested earlier, Greg!  And link now seems to be fixed.)



Comments:
I believe the link you provided to the essay doesn't work. Or at least it doesn't work for me.

That aside, I doubt it's only those on the right who see this rising trend. I feel like the Culture Wars of the late 80s and 90s are done. People consider social issues to be moot these days in favor of more pressing problems i.e. economy, debt, etc
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?